Frequently Asked Questions
How to install JAWS when a computer is connected to the internet?
1. After logging into your computer, the Activation window appears, select start activation.
2. On the next window that appears, you are prompted to choose a method for activation, the Internet (RECOMMENDED) radio button option is selected so press enter to proceed
3. On the next window, Tab once to the option, Enter Authorisation Number Manually and press the spacebar or click this option
4. On the next window that appears, enter your 20 alpha/numeric authorisation code and then press Alt+N to select the Next button or click this button. In a few moments you should get a message confirming that activation has been completed successfully. Select OK and then restart the computer.
How to install JAWS when a computer is not connected to the internet?
5. After logging into your computer, the Activation window appears, select start activation.
6. On the next window that appears, you are prompted to choose a method for activation, down arrow to the option, Manual, by telephone, fax, or fsactivate.com and press enter
7. On the next window, Tab once to the option, Enter Authorisation Number Manually and press the spacebar or click this option. In the window that appears, we are going to use the locking code displayed to generate a license code, it should start with 100-…
8. Navigate to the website https://fsactivate.freedomscientific.com/ on the computer with internet access or use another computer that has internet access
9. Select the link, Retrieve an Activation License Code
10. On the next page that opens, insert your 20 alpha/numeric authorisation code into the appropriate field as well as the locking code from the computer you are installing JAWS on
11. Select the Submit License Request button and in a few moments you will be presented with a license code, please select and copy this code right up to and including the word exclusive. Paste this information into the Activation License Code field and then select Next. In a few moments you should get a message confirming that activation has been 12. completed successfully. Select OK and then restart the computer.
How to convert pdf documents JAWS?
1. After opening the pdf document, press INSERT+SPACEBAR and release, then press the letter O on its own and then press the letter D on its own
2. As the OCR process is being performed, a window will open containing the information that has already been converted and JAWS starts reading the information automatically
3. To verify that the process has been completed, press CTRL+END and if you hear information that the OCR process is still in progress, wait a little while and then try ctrl+end again. The time taken for the process to complete will depend on the size of the pdf document
4. After the process has been completed, you can either press ESCAPE to close the window or you can choose to save the information
5. To save the information, press CTRL+A to select all the text and then press CTRL+C to copy the information
6. Press the Windows key to open the Start menu and your focus is placed in a Search Box edit field, start typing the word Notepad and when it autocompletes, press enter to open it. Press CTRL+V to paste the information
7. While in Notepad, press CTRL+A and then press CTRL+X to remove the information from Notepad
8. Open MS Word and then press CTRL+V to paste
9. You can now save this document for future use Note: By first putting the information into Notepad is to remove any formatting from the OCR results
How to braille document using Duxbury?
1. Create a document using MS Word and save it to the PC with the embosser connected to it
2. Open Duxbury (DBT 12.x)
3. In Duxbury go to the FILE menu and select OPEN (CTRL+O)
4. In the “Select document file…” dialog box navigate to the file you want to emboss and click on the OPEN button
5. In the “Import File” dialog box, choose the correct template to use (likely English UEB Basic), the Import Filter should be selected correctly according to the type of document that will be opened. Click on the OK button to open the document in Duxbury
6. To translate to braille, go to the FILE menu and choose TRANSLATE (CTRL+T)
7. To emboss the translated document, go to the FILE menu and choose EMBOSS (CTRL+E)
8. In the “File: Emboss” dialog box choose the number of copies and in the Page range, choose either all pages or make a selection of braille pages to emboss
9. Make sure the embosser is online and the paper is loaded correctly, and then click on the OK button
If You Have Any Questions You Can Call Me 24/7
Take the First Step
We have over 9+ years of disability support experience, We pride ourselves on high-quality assistive technology products and support services, and exceptional research output and a wealth of other disability solutions such as accessibility training and guidance.
Get Free Quote
We have over 9+ years of disability support experience guidance.